CrystaLens Treats Cataracts and Presbyopia
What is Crystalens?
Zeiter Eye Medical Group offers Crystalens as one of the solutions to cataracts. The Crystalens is an accommodating intraocular lens that, unlike a standard IOL, can treat both a person’s cataracts and presbyopia, which is the loss of both near and intermediate vision. As you reached your forties, you probably noticed that you started to lose some of your up-close vision and had to start using reading glasses to see images up close. Crystalens can treat your cataracts (a clouding or hardening of your lens), and can also reduce or eliminate your dependence on glasses. It does so by recreating accommodation similar to your eye’s natural lens. The unique Crystalens can reduce or eliminate glasses for most activities, including: reading a book, working on the computer, and driving a car.
Since the Crystalens is modeled after the human eye, it uses the eye muscle to flex and accommodate the Crystalens in order to focus on objects in the environment at all distances. Crystalens dynamically adjusts to your visual needs.
Crystalens is designed to allow the optic, or the central circular part of the lens that you see through, to move back and forth as you constantly change focus on images around you. This action allows the Crystalens to flex as you focus your vision on various objects at varying distances.
- The first and only FDA-approved accommodating intraocular lens
- The only FDA-approved intraocular lens that uses the natural focusing ability of the eye
- The only FDA-approved presbyopia correcting IOL for cataract patients that provides a single focal point throughout a continuous range of vision
Few patients with Crystalens have experienced problems with glare, halos and night vision. Crystalens focuses only one image to the back of the eye, unlike a multifocal lens that projects multiple images, requiring your brain to “adjust” to the differences.
The effectiveness of Crystalens was proven in clinical trials:
- Significantly more patients implanted with a Crystalens (88.4%) could see better at all distances than patients implanted with a standard IOL (35.9%).
- Most patients have continued to report excellent vision 7 years after implantation with Crystalens. More than 100,000 Crystalens implants have been implanted worldwide, and that number is growing daily.
Crystalens accommodates like the natural lens. After implantation of Crystalens, most patients will see brighter and clearer from distance, intermediate to near like they did when they were younger.
Crystalens is the ONLY FDA-Approved accommodating IOL
Crystalens was the first presbyopia correcting IOL introduced into the United States market and is currently the only FDA-approved accommodating IOL. Crystalens addresses the limitations of standard monofocal IOLs and multifocal IOLs by providing the following advantages to patients:
- Provides a Broad Range of Vision: Crystalens moves and changes shape using the eye’s natural focusing mechanism, instead of remaining fixed and stationary within the eye. This movement, or accommodation, allows the eye to focus on objects across a broad range of distances to reduce or eliminate dependence on glasses. In particular, this accommodation provides significant advantages in addressing intermediate vision.
- Maintains Clarity of Vision: Unlike multifocal lenses, Crystalens directs all available light received by the eye to a single focal point, comparable to that of a healthy natural lens.
- Patient Adjustment Not Required: Crystalens produces a single image consistent with normal vision, meaning patients do not need to neuroadapt to viewing multiple images. Patients also do not need to tolerate or adjust to high levels of halos and glare often associated with multifocal IOLs.
Quick facts on Crystalens®
- Patients who are good candidates for standard monofocal IOLs are typically good candidates for Crystalens. If a patient has healthy eyes, has not had previous cataract surgery, and does not suffer from any major health problems, then he or she is likely to be a good candidate.
- More than twice the number of patients implanted with Crystalens could see well at all distances compared to a standard IOL.
- Most Crystalens patients have reduced their dependence on glasses and are able to read the newspaper or a phone book without glasses.
- Most Crystalens patients are able to see their computers, dashboards and anything else at arm’s length without glasses.
- Most Crystalens patients are able to see 20/40 or better after surgery, so the clock across the room and the TV in the corner are clearly within sight.
- Many of our Crystalens patients can see well enough to do away with their reading glasses, bifocals, or contact lenses.
- The Crystalens procedure is highly successful and most people regain very good distance vision, somewhere between 20/20 and 20/40.